How to install a hidden door using SlatWall Panels in 5 simple steps
Create your very own secret hideaway using our stylish SlatWall panels. Whether you are wanting an illusionary feature wall, or simply want to cover your storage solutions, we have all the top tips and tricks to build a hidden door in 5 simple steps.
3 minute read
Want to build a secret passageway to a cosy movie room, hide your storage space or create a hidden hideaway? Naturewall SlatWall panels are perfect for creating secret doors.
Our wooden wall panels are easy to install with just basic construction or building skills, you can create your very own secret entrance. You can decide between screwing the panels into place or using a grab adhesive to stick the panels to your wall. Check out our simple guide or watch our video on how to install your SlatWall panels.
What Do I Need?
- Naturewall SlatWall Panels (use our coverage tool to determine how many you’ll require)
- Tape measure
- Fine-toothed hand saw
- Spirit level
- 15 x Black drywall screws per panel (3.5mm x 35mm) or use grab adhesive
- Adjustable door spring or remote door opener (optional)
- MDF cut to the size of your existing door or to create a new door (optional)
- Spray paint to match felt colour (optional)
Note: The type of construction screws you use will depend on the wall you’re screwing into. For a general wall, use drywall screws for drywall or stud walls, and masonry screws for brick walls. Ensure you are using suitable wall plugs where necessary. Speak to our helpful customer service team for further advice.
Before You Get Started
To ensure your hidden door is truly hidden, there are a few important steps to cover before you start installing your SlatWall wooden panels.
First, hinges on the inside of the secret room will create a more hidden look, since they won’t be visible to visitors on the outside. If you’re unable to change the swing of your door, consider spray-painting your existing hinges to match the felt colour on your SlatWall panels. This will give the door and hinges the incognito look you’re hoping to achieve and create the perfect hiding spot. Black door hinges will work best, but the design choice is in your hands!
Secondly, if your door frame protrudes out further than the wall, removing it will give the finished product a more seamless look. Having your door frame and walls flush is also important when it comes to spacing, since it may cause rub against the SlatWall once the panels are installed. You may need to patch up large holes if removing your door frame leaves any. Don’t worry about making it perfect, as this will be covered with our beautiful wooden slats.
How to create a secret doorway
Once you’ve checked off the steps above and have all your materials ready, it’s time to get started.
Be sure to read all the steps before you get started.
- Measure the size of the wall, including the doorway, and cut your panels to size.
- Fit your panels to one side of the wall surrounding the doorway using either drywall screws or grab adhesive.
- Install the panels up to 6mm away from the hinges. It’s important to leave at least 6mm so that the door can swing open without hitting the wall slats.
Top Tip: Ask a friend to hold panels in place on the door and test its functionality. If the slats are colliding, increase the space between them.
- Remove your door handles.
- Install your door spring or remote door opener as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Fit the panels to the door just like you did to the wall. These must be cut exactly to size.
- If your door has an uneven design, it may be useful to first install a thin piece of MDF for the panels to attach to.
- If your wall currently does not have a door, you can use MDF or any wood of your choice to create one. As long as it is cut to size, and you can attach SlatWall panels, it’ll work just fine!
Top Tip: If you’re installing a new door, consider using concealed hinges for a truly seamless secret door.
- Attach your SlatWall panels to the remaining areas. Don’t forget to line up the slats above the door with the slats on the door for a seamless finish.
Enjoy Your Hidden Door and Secret Room!
The most important part of all! Enjoy your hideaway!
Check out our inspiration guides for some ideas on how to kit out your new escape, and be sure to let us know how your project went!