How to maintain your Cedar panels
Ensure your Cedar panels always look great by following our guide to maintain their longevity. Personalise your panels with our Rubio Wood Creams or enhance the natural tones and textures of the wood using a clear UV Protection Oil. Check out our top tips on how to best care for your outdoor Cedar panels.
5 minute read
Our Cedar panels are the star of our current outdoor collection. The real Canadian Cedar is durable and contains beautiful golden tones for you to add luxury to your exteriors. Available in single panels or modular bundles, you can use them for a number of projects. Whether you use them as a full garden fence panels or as a simple decorative wall panel to display flowers, you can make the wood last even longer. Just like everything, the wood requires a bit of maintenance to ensure its longevity. We have some top tips and recommendations around how to make your Cedar panes last a life time.
Looking for some ideas for outdoor styling or fitting Cedar panels? Check out these blog posts:
When purchasing your slatted panels, we always suggest allowing the wood to acclimatise to your outdoor location and then you can personalise by applying wood creams or oils. For the best protection, give your Cedar 12 weeks. During this time, expect the wood to fade a little, particularly depending on the weather conditions of those first 12 weeks, but do not be alarmed. This is completely natural and they can easily be restore to their original beauty.
As mentioned, there are a couple of options to help you maintain your Cedar, available to purchase on our website. The first option is using Rubio Wood Creams to personalise by colour. Choose from six colours that allow you to match against your preferred colour scheme. Alternatively, option two involves restoring the natural golden tones of the wood by using our Osmo UV Protection Oil.
Whichever you choose, they aid the long-lasting capabilities of your panels, keeping them robust and consistently looking fresh.
Using Rubio Wood Cream
Rubio Wood Creams offers you the opportunity to tie your Cedar panels into your desired colour scheme on the top level, however there are many other advantages to their use.
The water-based cream is specifically made for exterior woods to nourish and preserve a breathable structure. With a self-cleaning formula, adding these to your Cedar will make it water-repellent resulting in a long-lasting pearl effect. The make up of the cream makes it easier to apply than standard paint, and over time it will not peel, crack, flake or blister.
If you want an instant colour change, you are able to paint your panels straight after installation. However, in doing this you may still need to reapply after the first 12 weeks as the wood adapts to the outdoor climate.
Key Features of Wood Cream
- Easy to apply
- Breathable pearl effect
- Long-lasting without cracks or flakes
- Water and dirt resistant
- Water-based and VOC Free
- Available in a variety of colours
- Use a flat brush or microfibre roller to apply
- Allow to dry for approximately 12 hours (after 30 minutes it will be dry to touch but giving it the further time will make sure the nourishing properties of the cream are full absorbed into the wood)
- Apply a second coat the following day for extra protection
- For further protection, we recommend re-applying every 2-3 years to ensure colour consistency and fully nourished wood
Using Osmo UV Protection Oil
If you prefer the natural colours of the Cedar, UV Protection Oil is the best option or you. Outdoor woods will naturally grey in colour over time, especially in harsher weather climates. Once your panels have acclimatised in your gardens or outside spaces, you can delay the greying with this protection oil. Any greying that may have already happened will be reverted when using the oil, bringing it back to the original golden Cedar tone.
Applying the oil 12 weeks after installation allows the natural oils to release from your panels ensuring your protection oil can gain maximum absorption. Made with natural plant oils, this oil is specifically developed to help maintain the wood colours as well as the grain characteristics offering you a clear and satin fresh finish.
Key Features of UV Protection Oil:
- Clear, satin finish that exposed the natural wood colours and grain
- Water and dirt resistant
- Breathable finish that will not crack or peel
- Helps to reduce swelling and shrinkage of wood
- Delays greying of wood 12x better than untreated wood
- Made with natural plant oils including sunflower, linseed, soya and thistle oils
- Use a flat brush or microfibre roller to apply thinly and spread well (thicker layers increase drying time)
- Allow approximately 12 hours to dry then reapply the following day
- After 2-3 years, we recommend reapplying to ensure the long-lasting effects (one coat will be sufficient and no need to sand for re-application)
Naturewall's Top Tips:
- Stir well before use using a flat stirring stick or spatula.
- Sand and brush down wood before first application to remove rough edges and any dirt build-up.
- If you are able to, cover the ground below to reduce mess from drips.
- Apply in temperatures between 5 and 35 degrees Celsius. Temperatures outside of this will increase drying time and may restrict the absorption of the cream or oil.
- When applying, make sure to get between the panels and on the top as these are the key areas rain will hit.
- Tilt your brush at 15 degree angle to facilitate runs.
Before you get started, make sure you have everything you need. Check you are wearing suitable PPE and have covered up any areas you do not want to get splashed. When applying, take your time to ensure you cover the full panel. Once both coats are complete, keep the mixtures in the tins and store in a cool, dry place that is well ventilated.
Finally, make the most of your Cedar panels. They are versatile no matter the finish. Hang up flower baskets or attach solar powered lights. Customised to your own personal style. If over time this style changes, your Cedar panels can change with you. Add new decoration, new garden furniture, or new exterior flooring. Cedar panels perfectly match all kinds of designs and will last you throughout all possible style changes.